Monday, September 16, 2013

7 days of rain!

As a true Oregonian I welcomed the 7 days of rain. I as long as many others have been praying for rain all summer. Unfortunately the state of Colorado had never seen so much rain over the course of 7 days. The ground isn't very porous, and our Mountains are large rocks creating a nice slick surface to run off of. This caused raging waters, damn breaks, and pooling water in places that have never seen water. The hardest hit places were Boulder, Jamestown, Aurora, Longmont, Greeley, Estes park, parts of Littleton and many more . 

Below are pictures from Saturday. I was at Michaels when the storm started. You could hear the weather warning signal over the PA system and then a couple of seconds later the rain came down in sheets. You could barely hear other people talking. I quickly purchased my items and made my way to Walmart. The hail started to come down as I walked into the store. Thinking I was safe I wondered through the store grabbing a couple of things and then the electricity started to flicker. That's when I decided to head home. The electrical storm was amazing! Have you ever seen a ball of lightning? Well, I did, and it made me scream while I was driving. It was like a bright explosion in the sky fallowed by a cracking blast sound.  As soon as I got home I had to take these pictures. 



I realize that my pictures are nothing compared to the others reported on the news. It's crazy to look at pictures I have of Estes park and Boulder compared to the images on the TV. I can't believe the bike path we were on is now covered in water. All I can say is wow.

1 comment:

KyleAndAlicia said...

Glad you guys are all safe! I can't believe all the rain and the pictures on the news, it's so weird to picture Colorado that way!